Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I haven't posted in forever and a day.

I haven't posted recently because I haven't been able to do much. On September first I fell down my stairs and tore a ligament and a tendon in my ankle. This was, understandably, devastating since I'm a very active person. At the time I was running up to 24 miles a week(Ironically I'm fat but that's a different blog).

I just had my first pain-free day yesterday but that hasn't stopped me from playing in the garden! I have put in more boxes, my cabbages are doing well, my beets, turnips, and kohlrabi didn't do well at all. I just pulled it. My kohlrabi never developed and then it started to go to seed so I pulled it.

Right now my peas are setting fruit(finally!) so I've been out there collecting them daily. I had planted carrots with them but since the box was only six inches deep they grew about three inches and started to turn off to the side. I think part of my lack of success in my winter garden was the fact that for a couple of weeks I could barely walk, even on crutches, so the garden didn't exactly get watered. I was in too much pain to care(have I mentioned that I have two small children at home?)

It's amazing to me that two weeks ago I was still in a lot of pain and now I'm digging holes, turning compost, and planting trees. Back story: we had this god-awful cottonwood tree in our backyard(which is about thirty feet deep... INCLUDING THE FIFTEEN FOOT PATIO that spans our entire backyard!!!) Needless to say: the people who planted it were less than informed about the nature of these particular trees. So, Saturday we spend the day with a father and son who have their own business- see where this is going?- removing trees! These guys were awesome, very green, very open- minded, we had a really good time. I ended up giving the son a piece of my spearmint plant to take home.  Saturday- tree disappears. Sunday- bought a new tree from a local family-owned business. We decided to get a rotundiloba and since we now have absolutely zero shade on our back yard we bought a big one. It's fifteenish feet right now so hopefully next year we'll get some shade out of it. Monday- we plant a lemon tree. Which brings us to today- I'm not doing anything! It's starting to sprinkle a bit but I'm going to check for peas and see if I have any(new) sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment