Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rain

Well, it's raining! Free water!
One good thing about doing square foot gardening (SFG) is that one uses far less water than with typical gardening. I think I use 4 gallons a day for 48 square ft of garden. That isn't 48 feet including aisles; I have 48 ft of just plants! Some days I don't even have to water because of the nature of the mix that I use, it holds water like crazy but still drains. I definitely recommend the book.

I turned my compost, which was a bit heavy due to the rain, but it's coming along nicely. I've got tons of potatoes growing- I'm actually giving out some seed potatoes to friends today! I have five yukon gold and five red potatoes, so far. The great thing about potatoes is the way that they grow. If you plant a potato six inches deep you'll have six inches of potatoes but if you keep adding dirt onto the plant once it's above ground it will keep growing and you'll get much more out of each plant. So far I have two red potatoes peeking out of the dirt, I'll be adding more soil to them when they are about six inches high.

My garlic and onions are growing like crazy! I have one square foot of garlic(sixteen plants) so far but its so easy to plant that I'll have tons by the end of Summer. I have eight sq ft of onions, two of green onions. Onions are grown sixteen to a sq ft. Do you think I like onions? In two weeks I'm adding another sixteen sq ft! I can't wait! Guess What. It's going to have another three sq ft of onions! Yes, I know that is a lot of onions but the great thing about them is that they keep for months all you have to do is cure them. (No, I've never cured them but it doesn't sound hard. I'll let you know when I actually do it.) Another thing that I like about onions is that you can just yank them out of the ground whenever you'd like and make dinner. It's fantastic! Oops! Out of onions? Right to the yard and Bam! Dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment