Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Found Them!

Oh yeah, that's right! I found those little destroyers! I went out this morning to peruse my produce and I see evidence of their undertakings on more of my plants. I had only seen their nibbles on one plant, yesterday it was two, now it's all four of my broccoli plants. Well, I can't have my crop totally decimated by these tiny terrors so I started checking... and checking... and checking. Finally I found two of these little critters on one plant. OK, first of all they have eaten like 30 holes in each plant, Seriously? You'd figure that these suckers would be the size of a worm, or a snake even, right? Not so much. The little critters, emphasis on little, are less than a centimeter long and as thin as the lead of a mechanical pencil! Seriously, where did they put all of that food?

On another note, our cabbage has sprouted as have our turnips and spinach. Don't tell my friend but I forgot which side is spinach and which side is turnips. I guess we'll have to wait until they grow up!

Now for a back story: When I was little I was in foster care back east, my foster parents had a farm. Naturally, we ate the food we farmed, I'd help bring it in as much as a five-year-old could. I remember liking Turnips.

Fast forward a couple of decades: I get a produce box from a local farmer that contains all sorts of produce, my last one had turnips(you see where I'm going with this?) I can't stand turnips! What was I thinking growing something I haven't eaten since I was five!?! I really hope my friend likes turnips!

No comments:

Post a Comment