Sunday, June 26, 2011

June happenings

So, here it is, the end of June and I haven't received any sort of harvest. The weather has been crazy and it has only recently gotten warm. I'm not sure what the exact temperatures were but it was in and around the 60s until two or three weeks ago, then it skyrocketed to the 90s and up to 105 for a couple of days. This is typical June weather; the 60s are pretty much unheard of.
My plants were seriously dwarfed by all of this cold weather! I have finally been able to start tying off my tomato plants. I have always had these crazy, out of control plants that consume my entire garden and, until this year, never knew what to do about it. Reading the SFG book I learned about suckers! what an eye opener! In all fairness I knew about suckers before but learning that they grew on tomato plants was new info. I have recently started rooting my suckers, I now have two more tomato plants!(Which is good because my chickens ate three entire plants in one morning!) I'm growing Roma, Rio grand, Heirloom, Yellow Pear and(when I replace them) Cherry tomatoes. My goal is to be able to can all of the tomatoes I'll use over the winter. I'm expecting the Roma and Rio Grand tomatoes to be the ones I can- the Cherry and Yellow Pear are just for fun- salads and such. I have several tomatoes growing on my Roma and Rio Grand vines. I can't wait to actually get some food out of these puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment